Payroll Manager Full Time
Job Ref. No.: STF-C/20-12
Reports to: Head of HR
2. About ECMWF
ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface.
For details, see www.ecmwf.int/.
3. Summary of the role
The Payroll Manager will be responsible for managing the ECMWF payrolls for both active staff (approximately 380+) and ECMWF pensioners (approximately 125+). They will work closely with other members of the HR team to ensure that all payroll-related activities are performed efficiently and reliably, via the recently implemented Unit4 Business World On! (Agresso) ERP system.
4. Main duties
- Managing and accountable for the calculation of the payrolls in GBP and EUR for all active staff at all the Centre’s duty stations, including payments and deductions, and supervising the management of the Centre’s pensioner payroll
- Responding to payroll queries and providing ad hoc advice to staff relating to entitlements and allowances, in accordance with the ECMWF Staff Regulations
- Acting as process owner for all payroll-related HR processes
- Preparing year-end statistics for IPSAS – leave carry forward balances including Home Leave, senior management costs and preparing year-end payroll related accruals i.e. overtime, mission travel, contractor and agency staff costs
- Raising purchase orders and processing payments for allowances for new joiners or leavers relating to allowances such as: installation allowance, travel expenses, leaving allowance, leave not taken payments
- Liaising with staff on household removal matters, upon arrival and departure and acting as the focal point
- Managing home leave entitlement and advising staff accordingly
- Supporting the implementation of a Euro payroll client in addition to the current GBP payroll
5. Personal attributes
- Strong hands-on experience of managing a payroll in a medium-sized organisation
- Experience of managing and continuously improving payroll processes.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Solution-oriented and pragmatic approach, willing to coach and support others
- Ability to work under pressure, capacity to manage multiple issues to tight deadlines
- Strong analytic skills, demonstrated ability to work with process and data to continuously improve service
- Initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong team player
6. Qualifications and experience required
A university degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience is required
Solid operational payroll management experience in a medium sized organisation is essential.
Solid experience of Unit4 Business World / Agresso payroll or experience of working in an intergovernmental organisation is desirable.
Knowledge and skills (including language):
Strong analytical skills demonstrated ability to work with process and data to continuously improve services and processes.
Strong level of IT literacy with an advanced level of MS Excel is required in order to extract and provide data for statistical analysis.
Accounting knowledge desirable.
Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
7. Other information
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £60,590.64 NET of tax. The Centre also offers a generous benefits package. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
Blue Jeans interviews will take place on Tuesday 30th June 2020.
8. How to apply
Please apply by completing the online application form available at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs.
To contact the ECMWF Recruitment Team, please email email@example.com.
Please refer to the ECMWF Privacy Statement. For details of how we will handle your personal data for this purpose, see: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/privacy.
At ECMWF, we consider an inclusive environment as key for our success. We are dedicated to ensuring a workplace that embraces diversity and provides equal opportunities for all, without distinction as to race, gender, age, marital status, social status, disability, sexual orientation, religion, personality, ethnicity and culture. We value the benefits derived from a diverse workforce and are committed to having staff that reflect the diversity of the countries that are part of our community, in an environment that nurtures equality and inclusion.
Applications are invited from nationals from ECMWF Member States and Co‑operating States, listed below:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, Norway, North Macedonia, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Applications from nationals from other countries may be considered in exceptional cases.
To apply for this vacancy, please click the button below to be taken to an online application form.
Click to Apply
Most Recent Jobs
- Payroll Manager – Yorkshire Yorkshire
- Payroll Administrator – Suffolk – Competitive Salary Suffolk
- EMEA Payroll Specialist (German) – Dublin – €50,000 p/a + 10% bonus and RSU’s Dublin
- Payroll and Pensions Administrator Berkshire
- Payroll and Benefits Specialist London
- CREATIVE SUPPORT: Payroll Officer Manchester