We are looking for a Senior Payroll Officer to work in our Payroll team at RHN. The payroll and pensions team at the RHN is responsible for paying staff correctly and handling related matters like pensions efficiently. The team’s focus is to deliver good payroll and pension management, essential for good people management. The team also take care of all statutory notices related to payroll and pensions.
Main duties of the job
- Demonstrate an awareness of RHN’s objectives and contribute to achieving them appropriately.
- Strive to improve efficiency in all areas of your work.
- Deliver an effective efficient and timely payroll service on time and to agreed deadlines
- Meet obligatory requirements of external parties and regulatory bodies
- Summarizing policy and processes to manage effectively organisation’s payroll and pension procedures.
The RHN is an independent hospital and medical charity. We care for people who have brain injuries and require assessment and intensive rehabilitation for conditions such as Huntington’s disease and prolonged disorders of consciousness. Our specialist services include a ventilator unit and a neuro-behavioural unit.
We help those with the most complex of health needs and disabilities including degenerative or progressive conditions as well as providing palliative care. The patients we support usually have complex physical challenges alongside their neuro-disability.
Our vision for the future is that we will be the national centre of excellence for neuro-disability. Our mission is to provide outstanding care and empowering individuals with neuro-disability, enabling them to live their lives to their fullest potential. We are pleased to have been awarded an overall rating of ‘Good’ by our regulator, the CQC, in 2021 and we are proud to be delivering areas of outstanding safeguarding practice.
Candidates applying for a role at the Royal Hospital for Neuro Disability are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against Covid-19 and Influenza.
RHN is a care provider for vulnerable patients at extreme risk. In consequence, safeguarding patients will always be our highest priority.
- Deputise for the Payroll and benefits Manager
- Act as first point of contact for all payroll queries and responding to enquiries in the payroll email inbox
- Processing the weekly payroll and monthly payroll and adhering to strict deadlines include liaising with HR for all payroll processes and calculations including new starters, leavers, employee sickness, maternity Pay holiday pay, authorised changes etc.
- Managing the bank rostering system and electronic timesheet in terms of collating hours worked by the employees ( includes processing overtime, unsocial hours payments, and any extra hours due )
- Assist the Payroll Manager with the development and implementation of policies, practices and procedures, ensure strict compliance with regulatory deadlines to improve payroll team efficiency
- Undertake reconciliation and management of monthly payments to HMRC and other government agencies e.g. Tax, NI, CSA, RTI submission with payroll reports for HMRC filing etc.
- Create and maintain the payroll and pension procedures, summarizing policy and processes
- Manage Electronic timesheet and produce KPI around sickness
- Process leavers after each payroll, including production of P45
- Export payroll summaries and pension GL reports to the Management Accountant.
- Able to contribute to the RHNs aims and objectives
- Experience of using HR / Payroll Systems
- A good understanding excellent customer service, together with good verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to foster good relationships and be an effective link with other hospital personnel via excellent communication skills.
- Able to prioritise work when there are competing demands.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Analytical skills with ability to analyse and interpret data.
- Flexible attitude / approach to work.
- Ability to learn quickly with enthusiasm and positive attitude
- Willing to engage in personal professional development and research
- Minimum grade 4 or above in GCSE Maths and English or equivalent
- A level or degree educated
- Relevant payroll qualification
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.