Job Title: Payroll Advisory Officer
Reports to: Payroll Advisory Team Leader
Date: March 2021
The purpose of this role is to promote excellence in the payroll and pensions profession, by not only being an enabler of legislation but to be part of team that plays a key role with government departments. This role has a front-line advisory service requirement, advising members on technical issues of payroll, pensions, or reward in addition to proofing the technical material primarily used for training and qualification courses.
As part of the advisory team this role will work closely with Policy and Research Officers, in addition to the Policy & Research Technical Lead.
We are looking for a person who can demonstrate team working, with a positive attitude. All eligible candidates must satisfy both the technical and non-technical criteria defined below and will be able to demonstrate these skills from their time working in a payroll, pensions, or reward role. An excellent telephone manner is required as is excellent writing skills.
Duties will often be shared between the payroll advisory officers as resource and or expertise permits. However, this role will be responsible for providing assistance to the subject matter experts by proofing all technical material. Other duties that will be shared include:
- Operating and maintaining the CIPP’s technical advisory service.
- Provide assistance to the technical author by proofing all technical material
- Working with the Lead Technical and Research Specialist to respond, on behalf of the CIPP, to member’s issues. Preparing articles and Q&As based on these responses for inclusion in the Institute’s member magazine.
- Undertaking research and or supporting research as requested on current operational issues within the payroll and pensions profession.
- Supporting the Policy & Research Officers with statistical evidence obtained from the technical helpline.
- Provide information as necessary to the Policy & Research Officer for inclusion on the CIPP website, in News On Line and the Institute’s magazine.
- Contribute to programme content for member and national forums, using statistical evidence.
- Prepare and distribute reports pertaining to partner organisations, detailing queries received and the main topics, working in.
- Prepare a statistical report, to include recommendations to support the Policy Operations manager report.
- Facilitate, monitor and report on the CIPP’s online forums including Specialist Interest Groups, alerting the Policy & Research Officers and or Policy & Research Technical Lead of specific issues where appropriate.
- Attend ad-hoc consultation and or Specialist Interest Group meetings where required.
Potential candidates for this post will need to demonstrate:
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a payroll and or pensions environment.
• Broad payroll knowledge across the areas covered in appendix 1. It is understood that the post holder will not always inherently possess this knowledge. A steep and continuous learning curve is part and parcel of this role due to the changing nature of the subject matter.
• Confidence in their ability to work with members.
• An enquiring mind and the self-motivation to seek out answers are vital.
• Enjoyment of detail involved in payroll and pensions administration, with particular reference to proof reading.
• Sense of humour.
• Top quality oral and written communication skills and an understanding of when and how to communicate.
• Attention to detail. This role requires extensive reading and absorption of information which can then be relayed authoritatively in both written and oral communication.
• Good levels of IT literacy.
Terms and Conditions:
Salary TBC (depending on experience)
Working week 37 hours
Annual leave 25 days annual leave per annum (pro-rated)
Pension: Group Personal Pension Scheme available
The role will be preferably office based at the CIPP’s headquarters; Goldfinger House, Solihull, although remote working will be considered.
Those who wish to be considered should submit a CV, along with a covering
letter explaining why they are interested in the post and what they will bring to it
and email to Jill.email@example.com by Monday 15 March 2021.
The CIPP is an equal opportunity employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best available person for a job regardless of marital / civil partnership status, sex (including pregnancy), age, religion, belief, race, nationality and ethnic or national origin, colour, sexual orientation or disability.