Are you looking for an exciting role delivering a high-quality payroll service to our customers? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
About the Team
We are looking to recruit a Payroll Officer which sits within the Corporate Centre Group (CCG) of the Group Finance Team. CCG delivers a wide range of corporate services to enable people at HM Treasury and many of the other organisations who form part of the Treasury Group (including the Government Internal Audit Agency and the Debt Management Office) to operate effectively and efficiently. We are a diverse group, both in terms of our professions and in our ways of working. Our colleagues are based across 3 sites in London, Darlington and Norwich.
HM Treasury’s Group Finance Team comprises approximately 50 staff. The team provides high quality advice covering strategic finance, financial management, financial reporting, counter fraud & risk for internal use, payroll and accurate information for Parliamentary control and public accountability purposes.
The payroll team is a small but key team based in Norwich. The team provides the payroll function for HM Treasury employees and the employees of 5 further government departments. We value our people and collective team spirit to enable us to deliver high-quality services to our customers.
About the Job
In this role, you will:
- Assist in the effective running of the monthly payroll cycle for HM Treasury and 5 Arms Lengths Bodies (6 payrolls in total).
- Calculating overpayments and corresponding with employees to arrange effective repayment plans.
- Line Management of junior team members.
- Overseeing the employee benefits packages
- Undertake quality assurance and corrective activities
- Resolve complex pay related matters, engaging with the 3rd party payroll provider as required to advise on or administer solutions.
- Conduct HR and payroll system user acceptance/interrogation testing as part of upgrades and change requests, ensuring the integrity of payroll processes.
- Supporting the Pay Team Manager and Pay Team Supervisor as required with adhoc projects including rolling out payroll services to new customers, implementing process changes and providing timely accurate data for audits and data requests.
The successful candidate will have experience of working in a fast-paced payroll function, processing high volumes of data and displaying a strong attention to detail and customer focus. You will have the ability to work autonomously within strict deadlines and process high volumes of data, balancing a busy and diverse workload with competing priorities. You’ll be able to build effective working relationships with stakeholders at all levels through strong verbal and written communication. You will deliver a high standard of service to users and other customers.
HM Treasury is proud of a diverse and inclusive work environment, committed to fairness and the promotion of equality of opportunity for all. We know that having a range of experiences, ways of working and thinking makes us a stronger organisation, better at developing policy that is reflective of the communities we serve. We embrace different views and experiences and value the fresh perspective that people from a variety of circumstances bring to the work we do. We welcome applications from candidates who have not previously worked for the Civil Service, mid- and late-career changers with transferrable skills, people from all backgrounds and circumstances regardless of disability, ethnicity, LGBT+ identity and socio-economic status.
Some of the Benefits our people love!
- 25 days annual leave (rising to 30 after 5 years), plus 8 public holidays and the King’s birthday (unless you have a legacy arrangement as an existing Civil Servant). Additionally, we operate flexitime systems, allowing employees to take up to an additional 2 days off each month
- Flexible working patterns (part-time, job-share, condensed hours)
- Generous parental and adoption leave packages
- Access to a generous Defined Benefit pension scheme with employer contributions of 27%
- Access to a cycle-to-work salary sacrifice scheme and season ticket advances
- A range of active staff networks, based around interests (e.g. analysts, music society, sports and social club) and diversity (e.g. women in the Treasury, ethnic minority network, LGBT* network, faith and belief network)
For more information about the role and how to apply, please follow the apply link.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to take part in the selection process, please tell us about this in your online application form, or speak to the recruitment team at [email protected]