Job title: Business development executive
Department: Marketing and sales
Reports to: Marketing manager
Date: April 2021
Purpose of the role
The job holder has a major role in directly delivering sales across the Chartered lnstitute’s advertising and sponsorship products and services.
Critical success factors
The role’s core focus is on revenue and brand growth in line with our quality objectives to improve customer care and position the Institute as the authoritative knowledge for payroll and pensions in the UK.
Maintaining and developing existing relationships is critical to the role, as is development of new business which will be achieved through the job holder’s own environmental analysis and working with the wider Business Development team to identify and pursue new business opportunities.
This area of the business works to a very high level and at an extremely fast pace. The workloads will vary but will always provide new challenges. We are looking for a proactive individual with initiative, who can operate independently but also as part of a team. This role will generate a number of activities from a wide range of meetings. At all times this role must seize opportunities to maximise the opportunity to promote the profession and the CIPP’s services commercially.
The business development activity in these areas are part of a broader sales and marketing programme. Co-ordination of sponsorship packages once sold is absolutely essential to the success of this role, and therefore the job holder will need to work as part of the marketing, sales and events team, as well as the wider CIPP team to ensure client packages are fulfilled and effectively managed in order to present an integrated and highquality image to customers. As such evidence of excellent organisation skills will be necessary for the role.
- To achieve revenue targets relating to sponsorship opportunities within the CIPP as determined in discussion with the job holder and the Business Development Director, the route to achievement is in the hands of the job holder
- Maintain, nurture and develop existing relationships with key accounts
- Development of new business through active key account management is critical to the growth of the institute. This will be the responsibility of the job holder, working with peers and other staff who have active client relationships.
- Identify and develop new business opportunities and act on those opportunities in a timely manner
- Identify and develop campaign options and proposals based on current industry trends and market requirements
- Ensure the timely and accurate updating of information pertinent to the successful delivery of sponsorship sales, including, but not limited to, media sales packs and the website
- The job holder has responsibility for maintaining the database and ensuring relevant contacts acquired and developed accordingly to drive sales
- To support the general brand positioning and awareness goals of the institute
- Support the wider CIPP team by logging activities and attributes relating to sales calls, proposals and contracts in the relevant systems
- Ensure the accurate and timely execution of sponsorship campaigns. This will require the Sponsorship co-ordinator to work closely with the marketing, sales, design and events teams plus other business areas as appropriate. It will also include liaison with the client post-sale to ensure that they meet their deadlines and contractual obligations
- Provide relevant and timely information relating to sales conversions and income generated
- Provide relevant and timely information relating to responses to proposals, campaigns and the CIPP in general
- Provide relevant and timely information to clients relating to their campaigns, this could include but is not limited to, impressions, click through rates, webinar or event registrations
- Assist in co-ordinating requirements for specific events and conferences and attend where required to promote the Institute and effectively manage the client relationships. You will be the main point of contact for clients at all CIPP events and therefore will be expected to travel within the UK to attend National Forums, National Payroll Week events, the Annual Conference and Graduation Ceremony, as well as other events where sponsorship has been sold
- The requirement on the job holder is to represent the CIPP as a highly professional institute and to work towards the strategic objectives of the organisation
- The job holder will work within the Business Development department which includes;
o Consultancy and the Payroll Assurance Scheme
Qualifications, knowledge and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential
- Knowledge of payroll and pensions industry is desirable but not essential, industry training will be provided to the successful candidate
- Ability to learn quickly and be proactive in order to keep up to date on industry developments and identify sales opportunities
- Campaign management skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Broad experience of the marketing mix and metrics
- Excellent organisational and customer service skills are essential
- Experience of Microsoft packages essential
- This is a fast paced role requiring self-starter skills – the business is out there, in a highly competitive environment
- Decision making in terms of terms of relationships with customers is high, in line with the need to move quickly. However, the principles of such decision making will be agreed in advance with the line manager. The job holder is expected to use judgement and discretion in deciding if issues need to be referred to the Business development director as appropriate
Behavioral competencies required
- The job holder will be a highly motivated and creatively thinking individual who can understand the complex ‘sell’ of a professional body and deliver it credibly and successfully to new and potential clients.
- Accountability: takes ownership and attempts to resolve matters before involving others
- Problem solving and decision-making: ability to anticipate problems, analyse situations, resolve issues and make high quality decisions, using a
- logical and rational approach and considering the wider impact
- Stakeholder management: to able to work with external stakeholders across relevant disciplines
- Commercial acumen: ability to work with a flexible and solutions focused approach, with overall business goals in mind
- Attention to detail, has an eye for detail and can also see the big picture
- Pro-active: has an enquiring approach, can identify areas for efficiency and improvement and is committed to continuous development
- Self-motivated: is driven, determined and able to work well independently and as part of a team
The jobholder may be required from time to time to undertake other duties to assist the CIPP with its strategic objectives.
Terms and conditions
Salary: negotiable dependent on experience, including commission
Working week: 37 hour working week (full time)
Annual leave: 25 days annual leave per annum plus bank holidays
Pension: Group Personal Pension Scheme available
Healthcare: Healthcare and cash-plan schemes available
Location: office based in Solihull, some UK travel will be required for the role
Some benefits are non-contractual and the Company reserves the right to review benefits and withdraw benefits as appropriate from time to time.
Those who wish to be considered should submit a covering letter explaining why they are interested in the post and what they will bring to it and email to email@example.com by no later than 14 May 2021 with interviews to take place week commencing 24 May.
The CIPP is an equal opportunity employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best available person for a job regardless of marital / civil partnership status, sex (including pregnancy), age, religion, belief, race, nationality and ethnic or national origin, colour, sexual orientation or disability.