Optionis Group, the market-leading professional services provider to contractors and small businesses, specialising in accountancy, tax, and umbrella employment solutions. Our payroll function is integral to the service we provide to our employees and accountancy clients. Our Head of Payroll is responsible for managing the payroll function both strategically and operationally by supporting the team to deliver a great service both internally and externally. You will be a technical point of reference for all matters relating to payroll and must be comfortable with driving transformational change.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the efficient operation of payroll for a large umbrella employer (Parasol) and four accountancy brands with payroll submissions for small companies
- Acting as a technical lead for the group on payroll and pensions.
- Responsible for ensuring all payrolls are accurate and executed within agreed service levels.
- Ownership of auditing controls to ensure transactions are accurately recorded and errors are mitigated, including working with Finance to monitor Pension transactions.
- Supporting the Payroll Managers with and sign off monthly reconciliation of pension and AOE
- Contributing expertise to ongoing project-based work, including the implementation of new payroll software across both teams.
- Keeping up to date with technical and legislative developments in payroll or impacting payroll and cascade this throughout the payroll team and wider business.
- Identify areas for improvement and implement new procedures to ensure continuous improvement within the department.
- Lead, coach and develop the Payroll Managers and the wider payroll team.
- Liaise with HMRC where required
- Overall responsibility for the tax year end tasks/project for payroll
Skills and Experience Required:
- CIPP Level 5 or higher, or an equivalent qualification within accountancy or HR.
- Experience of leading a payroll team through change in a fast-paced, high-volume, complex business
- Experience in project management, process improvement and implementation of new systems
- Excellent standard of technical knowledge and the ability to breakdown and explain payroll calculations, including impact of employer NI and apprenticeship levy
- Detailed working knowledge of pensions both private and Auto-enrolment
- Experience within umbrella, bureau, PEO or multiple high volume payrolls is essential
- Must be up to date with all legislation that impacts payroll
What we offer:
- Your Flexibility – remote, hybrid or office based (occasional travel to office)
- Study support towards further qualifications
- Industry leading career development
- 23 days holiday per year (excluding bank holidays) plus the option to buy and sell an extra 3 days. As a special thank you for each completed year of service with the company you will receive an additional days holiday (up to a maximum of 28 days or pro rata equivalent)
Additional days off for Birthday
- Exclusive Discounts & Offers from ‘SavingsPal’ – UK’s Leading Benefits Platform
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Dress down dress code
- Tusker Car benefit scheme – salary sacrifice green CO2 capped
- Free Mortgage service
- Holiday Buy & Exchange Scheme
- Gym Discount
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Eye Care Vouchers – Specsavers